Monday 9 May 2016

My Beautiful Nan

Today marks one whole year since my beautiful Nan died. She was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer when Casper was about 2 months old, she endured chemotherapy, operations and bad news but passed away just over a year after diagnosis.

Nan was my absolute idol. She was funny, clever, generous and always stood up for the underdog. I never heard a racist, homophobic or bigoted sentence leave her mouth. Nan was a nurse too and could always out-gross the rest of us nurses with her gynae stories, but also inspired me to try and see the best in my patients and to be tolerant of people in stressful situations.

I love her so much, I can't even express how much. I still cry everyday, I miss her so much. I can't believe that a whole year of events has happened that I haven't shared with her, but even more I can't believe that there is the rest of my life to live without her- my heart aches just thinking about what a long time it will be. How will we cope without her help? Without her guidance? I have so many questions left to ask, so many more cups of tea to drink while we watch the news, so much more...

So please, hug your family close today, tell them how important they are and love each other with all that you are. Cherish life now, you'll never know how much you will miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment