Thursday 12 May 2016

Hear Us Roar!

So, today I had a school friend attempt to school me in the art of appropriately communicating with a recently bereaved friend. I am a freaking nurse. A NURSE. She is not. And it made me think about how people perceive the work that we do, well... first I was completely fuming, then I cried because I have a cold and it's all too much... then I thought.

She has no clue how many hands I've held; hands that are dying; hands that are grieving; hands that are scared. How many tears I've shed for daughters losing their Dads, for sons losing their mothers, for people slipping away with only me in the whole world who cares. How many times I have broken peoples hearts with the worst news of their lives, the times I've lied so that people will drive safely to hospital, the times I've sent police to peoples houses because they are too vulnerable to be told over the phone.

She has no idea about the life changing decisions I make on a daily basis while she decides what font to use. Nursing is not about doling out meds, dealing with bodily fluids and flirting with doctors. So essentially, sit down, back off and HEAR US ROAR. This also goes for Jeremy Hunt.

ETA: I am no saint or martyr, this could be any nurse's delerious rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment